All-natural DIY pest repellents∙ 3 years ago
Sick of pests calling your place home and have an aversion to harsh chemicals in the repellents? Whether you want some simple pest control solutions that can be sourced from ingredients in your pantry, or you want to gain some knowledge on some useful essential oils to use as pest deterrents—we’ve got you covered! We’ve compiled a list of handy pest prevention tips, natural repellents for your home and body, as well as some professional pest control services in Maitland to provide further tips and services.
Before we dive in to the wonderful world of pest control, lets start by preventing those creepy crawlies straight up.
1. Wipe down surfaces with 1 part vinegar/1 part water solution. This will remove odours and food particles.
2. Fix leaky faucets to deter insects that are attracted to water.
3. Put all those dry, open goods in to sealed containers. Think pasta, biscuits or lollies.
4. Rinse all of your juice/sauce bottles before putting them in the bin. Any excess left in the bottles will attract insects like crazy.
5. Use a trash can with a lid.
6. To ensure your drains are clear from food, pour 1/2 cup of baking soda, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar down your kitchen sink drain. After 5 minutes, pour boiling water down the drain to clear it all out. This will get rid of any food waste lurking in your sink.
Essential oil mists that’ll deter pests
By mixing 2 and a half teaspoons of these essential oils with 1 cup of grain alcohol (such as vodka), you can create some effective repellents tailored to different pests. Simply pour the mixture into a spray bottle and mist throughout your home!
Citronella – mosquitoes
Lemon eucalytpus – mosquitoes
Geranium – mosquitoes, flies
Lavender – mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, fleas, flies
Lemongrass – mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, fleas, flies
Patchouli – gnats
Peppermint – spiders, ants
Rosemary – fleas, ticks
Tea tree – mosquitoes, ants
Handy deterrents for different pests
1. Deter ants by sprinkling coffee grounds around windows and doors.
2. Mix 1 cup of Borax with 1 cup of sugar water. Pour the mixture into small jars and poke holes in the lids. They’ll be lured in by the sweet smell.
1. Fill a glass with 2 inches of apple cider vinegar. Cover with cling wrap and poke holes in the top. They’ll be lured in by the sweet smell.
1. Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray throughout the home. Vinegar is an effective repellent for spiders, so coat any cracks, small openings or entrances.
1. Although we all love an ice cold beer, cockroaches aren’t so partial. Repel them by filling saucers with beer and placing them on the floor at entry points.
1. If you have a problem with silverfish or other wingless insects, sprinkle boric acid in moist areas, such as the kitchen or bathroom.
Natural repellents to keep the bugs off of you
With the right essential oils, you can whip up your own insect repellent for your family. What’s more, it’s all natural, with no harmful chemicals.
- 30-50 drops of one of these essential oils; rosemary, cinnamon, clove, lavender, eucalyptus or mint
- 100mL of water
- 75mL of Witch Hazel
- Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle.
Still having problems with pests? It’s time to call in a professional. Check out these Maitland pest controllers.
Phone: 1300 656 083
Whether you need those termites, rodents or any other crawlies eradicated, All Star Pest Control have got you covered. Some of their services include:
- Commercial, domestic pre-purchase & building reports
- Proofing & treatment for all pests
- Nemesis baiting systems
With more than 35 years’ experience servicing Maitland and the surrounding areas, you can count on All Star Pest Control to help you reclaim your home. Find them on LocalSearch.
Phone: (02) 4933 9253
Servicing: Maitland and surrounding areas
Being fully qualified, licensed and insured, trust Roger Clark when it comes to exterminating pests. They specialise in:
- Pre-purchase pest inspections
- Comprehensive pest control services
- Building consultations
With no job being too big or small, Roger Clark Pest Management can deliver top-notch solutions to all of your pest problems. Find them on LocalSearch.